- Week 1: Field Extensions, Automorphisms, Normal Extensions, Separable and Inseparable Extensions,The Fundamental Theorem of Galois Theory. (Chapter 1 of ).
- Week 2: Necessary condition for solvability by radicals, Insolvability by radicals of the quintic, Finite Fields, Abelian and Cyclic Extensions, Sufficient condition for solvability by radicals. (Chapter 2 of ).
Algebraic Number Theory
- Week 1: Elements integral over a ring, Integral Extensions, Integrally Closed Rings, Integers in quadratic number fields, Norms and Traces, The Discriminant, Cyclotomic Fields, Noetherian Rings and Modules,Dedekind domains, Norm of an Ideal. (Chapters 2 and 3 of ).
- Week 2: Ideal Classes and the Unit Theorem, Finiteness of the ideal class group, Units in imaginary and real number rings, Splitting of Primes Ideals in an Extension Field, The Discriminant and Ramification, Splitiing of a prime number in a quadratic number field. (Chapters 4 and 5 of ).
 Patrick Morandi, Field and Galois Theory, Springer 1996.
 Pierre Samuel, Algebraic Theory of Numbers, Hermann Publishers, 1970.
Speakers and Course Associates
1. D. Surya Ramana, HRI Allahabad
2. Amit Kulshrestha, IISER Mohali
3. Dinesh Khurana, Panjab University, Chandigarh
4. Anjana Khurana, Panjab University, Chandigarh
5. Rahul Dattatraya Kitture, IISER Mohali
Tea Breaks: 11.00 - 11.30 and 3.30 - 4.00
Lunch Break: 1.00 - 2.30
Snacks: 5.00 - 5.30
|9.30 - 11.00
|June 4||AK||DK||AK, AKh, RD||AK, AKh, RD|
|June 5||AK||DK||DK, AKh, RD||DK, AKh, RD|
|June 6||AK||DK||AK, AKh, RD||AK, AKh, RD|
|June 7||AK||DSR||DSR, DK, RD||DSR, DK, RD|
|June 8||AK||DSR||AK, AKh, RD||AK, AKh, RD|
|June 9||AK||DSR||DSR, DK, RD||DSR, DK, RD|
|June 11||AKh||DSR||AKh, DK, RD||AKh, DK, RD|
|June 12||AKh||DSR||DSR, DK, RD||DSR, DK, RD|
|June 13||AKh||DSR||AKh, DK, RD||AKh, DK, RD|
|June 14||DK||DSR||DSR, DK, RD||DSR, DK, RD|
|June 15||DK||DSR||DK, AKh, RD||DK, AKh, RD|
|June 16||DK||DSR||DSR, DK, RD||DSR, DK, RD|